- Dip needles are very useful for detecting magnetic fields in 3 dimensions.
- When used vertically, this compass needle gives a measure of the dip angle of the Earth’s magnetic field.
- However, it may also be used in its horizontal position as a conventional compass.
- Our magnetic needle is made of cobalt steel and is 10cm long.
- The magnetic needle is supported on a circular base, with a clearly graduated scale in degrees, about which it can rotate completely.
- The high quality aluminum support ensures the free rotation of the needle, by limiting the effects of friction.
- All the parts, except for the needle are made of a non-magnetic material.