- It is a compass used for navigational purposes, consisting of a pivoted compass card in a gimbal-mounted, nonferrous metal bowl.
- Here a metal bowl is positioned in a gimbal, hence the compass dial is suspended horizontally.
- The magnetic needle is freely suspended so that in the Earth’s magnetic field, it turns until aligned with the magnetic North and South poles.
- All the compass points are marked.
- It is a pocket sized compass measuring 45mm in diameter.
It’s available in two varieties:
- Mariner’s compass in Aluminum
- Mariner’s compass in Brass.